Soldier Commit Suicide Following A Gang Rape By Colleagues, Says Mom

Soldier Commit Suicide Following A Gang Rape By Colleagues, Says Mom

Her mother is speaking out after a military investigation did not bring any justice.

“They wanted her body. And they took her soul,” said Debbie Robinson to CBS News anchor Norah O'Donnell. Her daughter Morgan Robinson knew she wanted to be a soldier from a young age. 

Morgan died by suicide. She came to the heartbreaking decision to end her life after she reported that she had been sexually assaulted on the job. “To think that that’s what took her life — that’s what broke her,” continues mom, Debbie Robinson.


Morgan Robinson - Family Handout



At 21-years-old, Morgan approached her mother with news. She had decided to join the military. Six years into her career with the Army National Guard, Morgan was sent on her first deployment to Kuwait. This was in 2016. 

"When she was in Kuwait, she was sexually assaulted and continually harassed by one of her superiors," Debbie said. 
Morgan reported the assault but the response she received was "nothing," according to her mother.
"She got nothing," she said. 

During the same deployment, Morgan was later sent to Afghanistan. There the sexual assault continued. Her mother alleges that at this time, "multiple fellow soldiers gang-raped her". She was afraid to report what had happened to her. It can be hard to know what to do, how to feel, or what your options are after a sexual assault. 

"She was very scared," said Debbie to CBS News. "Because they threatened her, number one. And number two, she knew that it wouldn't go anywhere. Nothing happened in Kuwait with the sexual assault and the harassment, so why would they do something, you know, in Afghanistan?"


Morgan Robinson - Family Handout



Four months later, Morgan was dead by suicide. While the Army did launch an investigation into her death, the copy of the AR 16-6 given to Debbie was heavily redacted. 

"I just didn't understand how they could actually stand there and look me in the eyes, and hand that to me," continued Debbie. 

8 months after her death, the officer who assaulted Morgan in Kuwait was issued a written reprimand. Debbie was not happy with this conclusion. 

The Army has declined an on-camera interview but said in a statement that they conducted a full investigation and took appropriate actions. 

Debbie wants people to know: Morgan was doing a job, "a job that she loved. It was for her country."




Service members or civilians who were sexually harassed or sexually assaulted by a member of the U.S. military can seek legal services with Protect Our Defenders.

Disclaimer : This is based on sources and we have been unable to verify this information independently.

Recommended for you