Queen Elizabeth II has spoken about the global coronavirus pandemic.
The 93-year-old morarch was seen leaving London and heading to Windsor Castle, 20 miles (32 kms) west of London, on Thursday,which is a week earlier than she usually does for Easter. This is being seen as a precaution because of the coronavirus pandemic.
In a statement posted on social media accounts over the weekend, Queen Elizabeth recognizes that many people in the UK and the world are entering a 'period of great uncertainty'. The full statement reads as follows:
"As Philip and I arrive at Windsor today, we know that many individuals and families across the United Kingdom, and around the world, are entering a period of great concern and uncertainty.
We are all being advised to change our normal routines and regular patterns of life for the greater good of the communities we live in and, in particular, to protect the most vulnerable within them.
At times such as these, I am reminded that our nation’s history has been forged by people and communities coming together to work as one, concentrating our combined efforts with a focus on the common goal.
We are enormously thankful for the expertise and commitment of our scientists, medical practitioners and emergency and public services; but now more than any time in our recent past, we all have a vitally important part to play as individuals - today and in the coming days, weeks and months.
Many of us will need to find new ways of staying in touch with each other and making sure that loved ones are safe. I am certain we are up to that challenge.
You can be assured that my family and I stand ready to play our part.
According to The Sun , plans are in place to quarantine her and Prince Philip, 98, at Sandringham if the outbreak worsens.
A member of the Queen's Buckingham Palace staff has tested positive for Covid-19 with the case being confirmed while Her Majesty was in residence at the palace, UK media have reported.
The staff member was an aide who reportedly fell ill and tested positive last week. All Royal Household staff who had contact with the person have been ordered to self-isolate. A Palace spokesman said:
“We wouldn’t comment on individual members of staff. In line with the appropriate guidance and our own processes, we have taken the necessary actions to protect all employees and people involved.”
It has been said that the worker was diagnosed with Covid-19 before the 93-year-old monarch moved to Windsor Castle.
The Queen was not the only member of the Royal Family to share messages via social media. Prince William also addressed the coronavirus pandemic.
"Whenever and wherever adversity strikes, the people of the U.K. have a unique ability to pull together. The way that local communities support those affected shows the very best of our values and human nature. The public's desire to help in the wake of tragedy needs to be managed and channeled in the best possible way, which is why the establishment of the National Emergencies Trust was so important," William says in the clip.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle made the public aware that they'd be using their social media presence to share useful resources "to help all of us navigate the uncertainty."
"These are uncertain times. And now, more than ever, we need each other. We need each other for truth, for support, and to feel less alone during a time that can honestly feel quite scary.
There are so many around the world who need support right now, who are working tirelessly to respond to this crisis behind the scenes, on the frontline, or at home. Our willingness, as a people, to step up in the face of what we are all experiencing with COVID-19 is awe-inspiring. This moment is as true a testament there is to the human spirit."