×
'My Heart Is Completely Shattered' Says OWN Dr. Laura After Son OD'd and Died

'My Heart Is Completely Shattered' Says OWN Dr. Laura After Son OD'd and Died

Her 16-year-old son was able to get drugs through snapchat delivered to their home.

Dr. Laura Berman is the world’s leading expert in sex, love, and relationships.

She earned two Masters and a Ph.D. degree from New York University and has spent the last several decades helping individuals and couples around the globe love and be loved better. Dr. Berman is also a best-selling NY Times author of eight books, and hosted and starred in several television shows, including OWN’s In the Bedroom with Dr. Laura Berman, The Dr. Laura Berman Show, and Sexual Healing on Showtime.

 

Dr. Laura Berman with Oprah.

 

Sadly, the popular educator revealed that she was, mourning the death of her teenage son who died of an overdose on Sunday, February 7, 2021. 

He was 16-years old. 

 



 

"My beautiful boy is gone. 16 years old. Sheltering at home," she captions her public post. "A drug dealer connected with him on Snapchat and gave him fentanyl-laced Xanax or Percocet (toxicology will tell) and he overdosed in his room."

"They do this because it hooks people even more and is good for business but It causes overdose and the kids don’t know what they are taking. My heart is completely shattered and I am not sure how to keep breathing. I post this now only so that not one more kid dies. We watched him so closely. Straight A student. Getting ready for college. Experimentation gone bad. He got the drugs delivered to the house. Please watch your kids and WATCH SNAPCHAT especially. That’s how they get them."

 



 

 

"Our son Sammy was a beautiful soul who left us way too soon," Berman said in a statement provided by her husband, Samuel Chapman. "Our hearts are broken for ourselves and for all the other children that are suffering during this pandemic."

“He asked his dad for a cheeseburger,” Berman told NBC News’ Kate Snow. “An hour later, I went into his room because we’d been talking about an internship for the summer that he wanted to do, and he was on the floor, gone.”

According to Berman and Chapman, Sammy was feeling isolated through the COVID-19 epidemic and wanted to experiment with prescription pills when he discovered a menu of drugs for sale on Snapchat.

 



 

 

In a statement provided to USA TODAY, Berman implored several social media platforms to join in the investigation of her son, Samuel's death. 

"We call on Snapchat and Twitter to help the Santa Monica Police with their investigation, which according to the police is something the big technology companies regularly refuse to do," Berman wrote. "And we encourage every parent to manage their children's social media as closely as possible."

 



 

According to the CDC, over 31,000 people died from overdoses involving synthetic opioids (other than methadone) in 2018. More than 80% of drug overdose deaths involved opioids.

Nearly 85% of overdose deaths involved illicitly manufactured fentanyls,* heroin, cocaine, or methamphetamine (alone or in combination)

Disclaimer : This is based on sources and we have been unable to verify this information independently.

Recommended for you